Google Translate

Friday, January 13, 2012

Experiments in car-light living

This is M2A (MovingToAustralia)'s mom. I'm privileged that M2A has invited me to contribute a post now and again to the blog. So here's my first guest blog.

You probably noticed that M2A has mentioned how bikes are popular here and how she has been riding her bike a lot -- well, until she got that flat tire which unfortunately we still haven't fixed. We've been trying to reduce our dependency on a car, because we don't want to run more than one, because cars aren't particularly fun in this city -- there can be horrible traffic in the inner area where we live -- and because it is actually fun to explore on foot or 2 wheels. Not to mention the health benefits for all of us and the pleasure of enjoying fresh air.

I don't have a bike of my own yet (more on that in minute) so I've been borrowing one from either M2A or her dad to commute to work. It's about a 25 minute ride to my office, with only a few inclines here and there, so it's a totally reasonable way to get to work. I only get slightly out of breath because, well, I'm slightly out of shape! Melbourne is quite bike-friendly, with quite a few bike paths and many bike lanes on roads around the city. The biggest challenge is that my route requires me to cross a few busy roads at intersections without a traffic light; I'm still tweaking the route and am hoping to find a way to avoid that.

I have a few options to get to work. Walking, which takes ~50 minutes each way. I've done that a few times, but that's a lot of lost time in a day. Train + tram, which still takes ~40 minutes when you factor in walking to the train station and the indirect route I have to take due to the wheel and spoke nature of the transport system, and costs $7/day. On the other hand, I can read during that time. Car, which works out to be expensive because parking near the university is pricey. It is also only marginally faster than the bike -- and maybe not at all -- because of traffic congestion. See how the bike is looking attractive? Minimal cost beyond the up-front investment, relatively quick, fresh air, environmentally friendly, and built-in exercise I can't avoid if I want to get home at the end of the day. :) Apparently I'm not the only one who's made this calculation, because the bike lanes are full of cycle-commuters.

The kids have gotten into it as well. We live right next to a great bike path along a creek. Every day while I'm at work they go for an extended bike ride or walk with their dad, and they have gotten to know our neighborhood and beyond much better than I have! Coffee and cake at the Fairfield Boathouse, an adjustment to a bike at the local bike shop, some play time at the great Edinburgh Gardens playground; every day is a new adventure.

I'm hoping we'll be able to commute the kids to school by bike. Their school isn't far; less than 3km. The challenge is to find a route that is safe for all of us. We bought a second-hand trail-a-bike for Monkey which has been working great so far to go further than she can go on her little bike with training wheels. Cat rides her own bike, though at 7 she sometimes doesn't judge intersections or other vehicles well and I'm not sure she can handle the route to school. I'm considering getting a cargo cycle (a Yuba Mundo) that could accommodate her, or both her and Monkey, as well as a huge pannier bag. Then we could go longer distances, or along routes that aren't safe for the kids to navigate on their own. I have visions of going to the Farmer's Market at the Collingwood Children's Farm and buying lots of yummy fruit and veg. The farm is a very short bike ride from here, wouldn't it be great to go on pedal power and still be able to bring back goodies? But, it's a huge cost compared to a regular bike and I haven't quite decided whether we're fully committed to this lifestyle as it is all still so new for us ... decisions, decisions.

We did buy a new (to us) car. It's basically inevitable for a family of 5. We've had it 9 days and so far have put 55 km on it, including the 10 km drive from the dealership to our house. We'll be using it to explore farther afield than our own 2 legs can take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment