Google Translate

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Healesville Sanctuary

First, before I start talking about the Healesville Sanctuary, I have to say something important, just to have no confusion: My littlest sister is Monkey, and the older sister is Cat. If you do not know their real names then you wont understand where I'm getting this from, but if you do, laugh as much as you want (not that it is meant to be funny). Anyways, the Healesville Sanctuary is obviously a sanctuary for animals. I believe all the animals in it are native to Australia, so it doesn't exactly count as a zoo, therefore I am calling it a... sanctuary. It was really nice being around all the animals, and I even petted a kangaroo (it was the one that got close, and I was the first one to start petting it, there is also a photo that will appear tomorrow in my next post, I hope). Just in case you are curious, kangaroos are fuzzy and koalas are lazy, doing nothing but scratch themselves on occasion. I have also discovered a new bird which Is a I forget it's name. It is mostly white with black feathers on it's tail. It has a really long black beak, which looks really weird when they open their mouths. They like bananas. You might be asking yourself "Why is this girl talking about just one kind of bird if she has supposedly seen tons in the zoo?". Well, first of all, its not a zoo but a sanctuary, and second, these birds are like the big fat version of pigeons in the country. Anyways, today I also say a Tasmanian Devil (I mention this because my family was like the only people that got to see it because a giant crowd had just left and just then it came out, and I was the first one to see WHERE it was coming out), platypi (I don't know how to spell plural for a platypus), emu, LOTS of birds, awesome cute barn owl (Soren, I called it because there is a barn owl in these books called Guardians of Ga'Hoole, which are highly recommended by me and are also a movie), kangaroos, koalas, creatures of night, lots of lizards, top ten most dangerous snakes of the world, dingoes (not really well, I only got to see the back of one), echidna (I love it's creepy front paw things), pelicans, ducks, and birds from a bird show (it included giant bird, talking bird, cockatoos, and birds of prey). I guarantee that I have forgotten several animals, mostly because I can't remember their names and there were so many of them that I saw. There are three zoos in Melbourne (yes, the sanctuary counts as one) and am pining to visit the next two. Vocabulary status: no vocabulary that I know of.

1 comment:

  1. Melana,
    Healesville is one of my favorite places! I think the birds you are talking about are Ibis, and the owls are Tawny Frogmouths.

    I am really enjoying reading your blog!

    Jen (Ethan's mom)

    ReplyDelete