Google Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

Dapples

Yup! This is the much- anticipated post about dapples! Dapples are little round light patches on a horse's coat. Like so (look to the side, technical difficulties): I love dapples.
But before you read anything else, I would like you to read this quote from someone who kindly corrected me on some of my points "dapples are not genetic. they can also appear on all horse colors. dapples usually occur when a horse's coat is changing colors, which is why they are most commonly seen on greys. greys are born one color, and slowly change to grey as they age, which is why there are very light greys that appear white, and darker dapple greys." I am keeping all the other original information on the post, though, just because other people have said otherwise about the matter and I don't actually know which is true (although I'm leaning towards the quote, I'm pretty sure that person knew what she was talking about).
I believe they can appear on any color coat except for duns. But I saw that somebody who had a dun got dapples! Who knows. Maybe the horse is a chestnut. Anyways, dapples are weird. They most commonly appear on grey horses, and don't appear as commonly with chestnut horses (don't ask). There are also different kinds of dapples! I think I basically just showed you classic dappling. Here is some star dappling:  There are basically three kinds of dapples (as far as I know): Classic, star, and reverse. Star dappling is my favorite. Do you see that some of the dapples in the right- hand corner look a bit like stars? Well, there you go.
Here is some reverse dappling (it actually looks okay!). It is basically like classics dappling, except the dapples are darker instead of lighter. I probably would've gotten this confused with a leopard appaloosa, but I wouldn't have been sure. I learned something new today!
I have looked up how dapples are caused, but I don't think there is much of an answer. Some people say that their horses have dapples some years and not others. Other people say that dapples are a sign of health. I even saw one person say that they felt the edge of their horse's dapples and that they felt oily. Some people thought that dapples are just purely genetic. I don't know why any of that happens. So yup! Here is my not- so- short article about dapples that I was dying to do!
(by the way, there's a normal post under this)

3 comments:

  1. dapples are not genetic. they can also appear on all horse colors. dapples usually occur when a horse's coat is changing colors, which is why they are most commonly seen on greys. greys are born one color, and slowly change to grey as they age, which is why there are very light greys that appear white, and darker dapple greys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! I seriously don't really understand much of these things about coloring and color genes and that stuff, and I don't actually get that much time to research it at all (I hope I didn't come across as extremely knowledgable, that was only a collection of data I found on the internet)!
      Again, thank you, I will edit the post and give you credit for this (not using your name, though... I don't know if you're allowed to show your identity online)! I bet you know a lot more than I do :)

      Delete
  2. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!
    Flush Mount Lights

    ReplyDelete